Mathematics » High School: Geometry » Expressing Geometric Properties with Equations
Standards in this domain:
Translate between the geometric description and the equation for a conic section
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.A.1 Derive the equation of a circle of given center and radius using the Pythagorean Theorem; complete the square to find the center and radius of a circle given by an equation.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.A.2 Derive the equation of a parabola given a focus and directrix.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.A.3 (+) Derive the equations of ellipses and hyperbolas given the foci, using the fact that the sum or difference of distances from the foci is constant.
Use coordinates to prove simple geometric theorems algebraically
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.B.4 Use coordinates to prove simple geometric theorems algebraically. For example, prove or disprove that a figure defined by four given points in the coordinate plane is a rectangle; prove or disprove that the point (1, √3) lies on the circle centered at the origin and containing the point (0, 2).
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.B.5 Prove the slope criteria for parallel and perpendicular lines and use them to solve geometric problems (e.g., find the equation of a line parallel or perpendicular to a given line that passes through a given point).
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.B.6 Find the point on a directed line segment between two given points that partitions the segment in a given ratio.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSG-GPE.B.7 Use coordinates to compute perimeters of polygons and areas of triangles and rectangles, e.g., using the distance formula.★