Mathematics » High School: Statistics & Probability » Interpreting Categorical & Quantitative Data
Standards in this domain:
Summarize, represent, and interpret data on a single count or measurement variable
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.A.1 Represent data with plots on the real number line (dot plots, histograms, and box plots).
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.A.2 Use statistics appropriate to the shape of the data distribution to compare center (median, mean) and spread (interquartile range, standard deviation) of two or more different data sets.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.A.3 Interpret differences in shape, center, and spread in the context of the data sets, accounting for possible effects of extreme data points (outliers).
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.A.4 Use the mean and standard deviation of a data set to fit it to a normal distribution and to estimate population percentages. Recognize that there are data sets for which such a procedure is not appropriate. Use calculators, spreadsheets, and tables to estimate areas under the normal curve.
Summarize, represent, and interpret data on two categorical and quantitative variables
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.B.5 Summarize categorical data for two categories in two-way frequency tables. Interpret relative frequencies in the context of the data (including joint, marginal, and conditional relative frequencies). Recognize possible associations and trends in the data.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.B.6 Represent data on two quantitative variables on a scatter plot, and describe how the variables are related.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.B.6a Fit a function to the data; use functions fitted to data to solve problems in the context of the data. Use given functions or choose a function suggested by the context. Emphasize linear, quadratic, and exponential models.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.B.6b Informally assess the fit of a function by plotting and analyzing residuals.
- CCSS.Math.Content.HSS-ID.B.6c Fit a linear function for a scatter plot that suggests a linear association.
Interpret linear models